4/12/2011

My new favorite thing with Tried and True Recipe

Look:: My new favorite thing is lunch.  I love to have play dates that stay for lunch.  It makes it so my kids can have their usual morning, then have friends come.  After a bit of playing they get a fun meal and more playtime.  What is really neat is that Chelsea gets the sense that others like to eat the same things as her (usually she has something separate at meals and snacks).
Learn::  I have learned to put most things out in advance, this leaves me free.  I set the table for a ladies' lunch.  Put a yummy dish in the crock pot (in summer this will change to a great salad). and get the kids' stuff prepped.  I adore testing out my recipes.  The best entertainment for any lunch is listening to 2, 3 and 4 year olds' conversations.  Hysterical.
Love:: This activity combines my friends, my kids and cooking.  Goodness, what a winning combo!  I've included the recipe for a recent tortilla soup that seemed to work out well, flavor wise.  

Tortilla Soup
1 carton chicken broth
1 cooked chicken breast (diced)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black or pinto beans
1 can corn
1/2 bag of frozen chopped peppers
1/2 bag of frozen chopped onions
2 Tbsp taco seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and set on low for 4 hours.  If you need it sooner high for 1 or 2 hours should work.  You can play with the amount of veg you want, or leave something out entirely if it isn't to your liking.  Fresh cilantro is a great addition once you've put soup into the bowl.  Another idea that would be great is tortilla strips baked in the oven served atop the soup.

No comments: