2/08/2011

Tried and True Tuesday... A yummy homemade whole grain bread

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  I can make really yummy french bread in my bread machine.  It's a great side for salads and soups...then I can turn it into kickin croutons.  But why, oh why, can't I make some delicious bread with wheat, bran, oat and flaxseed.  The photo below is one of the duds....this stuff was really nasty.  It was hard little blobs that looked more like chicken then bread, am I right? 

So I turned to the library and requested a bread machine cookbook for help.  Yesterday I put all the yummy ingredients in before we headed off to the zoo.  We came home to smell of warm bread (LOVE THAT!).  I sliced off an end piece, took a bite and was pleased that I found a winner!  Here is the recipe.

1cup milk (we used silk)
3 T water
4 t honey
1 T butter (we used earth balance)
1.5 c wheat flour
1 c flour
.5 c oat bran
2 T ground flax seed
3/4 t salt
1 t yeast

No comments: